Ronan Farrow gave Harvey Weinstein’s victims a voice in 2017. Now, two years later, his ebook, ‘Catch and Kill’, did the identical for an additional girl allegedly raped by Matt Lauer. Learn extra about Ronan’s work.
Ronan Farrow, 31, has labored for NBC News for many of his journalistic profession, however that by no means made him afraid to seek for the reality. With the discharge of his newest ebook, Catch and Kill, in October 2019, Ronan dug deep into the sexual assault allegations in opposition to Matt Lauer, that received him fired from the identical community through the #MeToo motion — and uncovered a brand new one. One so unhealthy that his former Today present co-hosts Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb, mentioned they had been “disturbed and appalled.” Learn extra concerning the work that Ronan’s doing, and the person himself:
1. His Harvey Weinstein report helped take down one of the highly effective males in Hollywood. Ronan had a groundbreaking report in his lap that may change the face of Hollywood as we all know it, however NBC News, the place he works as an investigative reporter, wouldn’t let him run it. So he took his piece, which particulars claims by actresses like Asia Argento and Rose McGowan, that mega-producer Harvey Weinstein allegedly assaulted or harassed them, to The New Yorker. Since publishing the article in November 2017, dozens of ladies, together with Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie, have come ahead with their very own Weinstein claims. Weinstein was later arrested and charged with with first-degree and third-degree rape and committing a felony sexual act within the first diploma on May 25, 2018, after surrendering to police in NYC; he had allegedly forcing mannequin Lucia Evans to carry out oral intercourse on him in 2004.
The disgraced Hollywood mogul was arraigned and made agreements to put on an digital ankle monitor, pay a $1 million bail, and never go away the states of New York and Connecticut. A lawyer instructed HollywoodLife on the time that if convicted, he might withstand 20 years in jail.
2. His 2019 ebook, Catch and Kill, particulars new sexual assault allegations in opposition to former Today present host Matt Lauer. Matt was fired from NBC two years in the past after he was accused of sexual assault and harassment by a number of girls on the firm. Another former NBC worker, Brooke Nevins, got here ahead in Ronan’s ebook, launched in October 2019. Brooke accused Matt of anally raping her in his lodge room through the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Matt denied the allegation in a prolonged assertion by way of his lawyer to our sister website, Variety, writing, that they did have intercourse, however it was totally consensual.
“The story Brooke tells is filled with false details intended only to create the impression this was an abusive encounter,” his assertion reads, partly. “Nothing could be further from the truth. There was absolutely nothing aggressive about that encounter. Brooke did not do or say anything to object. She certainly did not cry. She was a fully enthusiastic and willing partner. At no time did she behave in a way that made it appear she was incapable of consent. She seemed to know exactly what she wanted to do.” You can learn Matt’s full assertion HERE.
Brooke responded to his denial assertion the identical day on NBC Nightly News. “There’s the Matt Lauer that millions of Americans watched on TV every morning, and there is the Matt Lauer who this morning attempted to bully a former colleague into silence,” she mentioned. “His open letter was a case study in victim blaming. I am not afraid of him now. Regardless of his threats, bullying and the shaming and predatory tactics I knew he would (and now has) tried to use against me.”
3. He labored for the Obama administration earlier than going into journalism. Ronan had a powerful profession in politics earlier than switching to investigative reporting. At simply 21 years previous, he served as former President Barack Obama‘s Special Adviser for Humanitarian and NGO Affairs within the Office of the Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan. Under diplomat Richard Holbrooke, he was liable for “overseeing the U.S. Government’s relationships with civil society and nongovernmental actors” in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Ronan turned Secretary of State Hillary Clinton‘s Special Adviser for Global Youth Issues and Director of the State Department’s Office of Global Youth Issues in 2011. He was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University to check worldwide relations, however in the end determined he was higher suited to journalism.
4. He’s an investigative correspondent with MSNBC and NBC News. Ronan had his personal present on MSNBC from 2013 to 2014, known as Ronan Farrow Daily. Since then, he’s labored for NBC News, reporting for packages like Morning Joe, the Today present, and NBC Nightly News. He has an investigative phase on Today known as “Undercover with Ronan Farrow”. He’s additionally written for Hollywood Reporter, The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, and Los Angeles Times.
5. He backed his older sister, Dylan Farrow’s claims that their father, Woody Allen, molested her when she was a toddler. Dylan printed an open letter about her allegations within the New York Times, saying that expenses had been by no means filed on the time as a result of the prosecutor didn’t wish to put her via a trial. Ronan later wrote about it for Hollywood Reporter. Ronan and Dylan disputed allegations by Allen that she was persuaded by their mom, Mia Farrow, to make up the molestation claims to get again at Allen for his or her cut up. Ronan was already estranged from his father, whom he couldn’t forgive for marrying his half-sister (and Allen’s stepdaughter), Soon-Yi Previn. “He’s my father married to my sister,” he mentioned in a 2013 interview with Life. “That makes me his son and his brother-in-law. That is such a moral transgression.”