Financial providers startups raised much less cash in 2019 than they did in 2018 as VC companies seemed to again late stage companies and targeted on creating markets, a brand new report has revealed.
According to analysis agency CB Insights’ annual report printed this week, fintech startups the world over raised $33.9 billion* in whole final yr throughout 1,912 offers*, down from $40.eight billion they picked up by collaborating in 2,049 offers the yr earlier than.
It’s a complete report, which we advocate you learn in full right here (your e-mail is required to entry it), however under are among the key takeaways.
- Early stage startups struggled to draw cash: Per the report, financing for startups seeking to shut Seed or Series A dropped to a five-year low in 2019. On the flip facet, cash pouring into Series B or past startups was at report five-year excessive.
- Emerging and frontier markets have been on the centre stage of the a lot of the motion: South America, Africa, Australia, and Southeast Asia all topped their annual highs final yr.
- Asia outpaced Europe in the second half of final yr on each variety of offers and bulk of capital raised. In Q3, European startups raised $1.6 billion by means of 95 offers, in comparison with $1.eight billion amassed by Asian startups throughout 157 offers. In This autumn, an analogous story was at play: European startups participated in 100 rounds to lift $1.2 billion, in comparison with $2.14 billion* raised by Asian startups throughout 125 offers*.
- Emergence of 24 new fintech unicorns in 2019: eight fintech startups together with Next Insurance, Bight Health, Flywire, High Radius, Ripple, and Figure attained the unicorn standing in This autumn 2019, and 16 others made it to the record all through the remainder of the final yr.
- Insurtech sector, or startups similar to Lemonade, Hippo, Next, Wefox, Bright Health which might be providing insurance coverage providers, acquired a significant increase final yr. They raised 6.2 billion final yr, up from $3.2 billion in 2018.
- Startups constructing options similar to invoicing and taxing providers and payroll and funds options for small and medium companies additionally obtained the nod of VCs. In the U.S. alone, the place greater than 140 startups are working in the house, raised $four billion. In many extra markets, such startups are starting to emerge. In India, as an illustration Open and NiYo are constructing neo-banks for small companies they usually each raised cash final yr.
- Nearly 50% of all funding to fintech startups was concentrated in 83-mega rounds (these of dimension $100 million or above.): According to the analysis agency, 2019 was a report yr for such rounds throughout the globe, besides in Europe.
- Funding of Germany-based startups reached an annual excessive: 65 offers in 2019 resulted in $1.79 billion elevate, in comparison with 56 offers and lift of $757 million in 2018, and 66 offers and $622 million elevate in 2017.
- Financial startups in Southeast Asia (SEA) raised $993 million throughout 124 rounds in 2019 in what was their finest yr.
*CB Insights report features a $666 million financing spherical of Paytm . It was incorrectly reported by some information shops and the $666 million elevate was a part of the $1 billion around the Indian startup had revealed weeks prior. We have adjusted the info accordingly.