California man died in April at Dominican Republic resort after drink from lodge room minibar, household says

California man died in April at Dominican Republic resort after drink from lodge room minibar, household says 1

A fourth U.S. vacationer died after he fell critically and all of a sudden unwell at an all-inclusive resort within the Dominican Republic a few month earlier than three others died of their rooms, Fox Information has discovered.

Robert Bell Wallace, 67, of California, grew to become unwell nearly instantly after he had a scotch from the room minibar on the Onerous Rock Lodge & On line casino resort in Punta Cana, his niece, Chloe Arnold, instructed Fox Information on Sunday. He was within the Dominican Republic to attend his stepson’s marriage ceremony.

Arnold mentioned her uncle, an avid traveler, had been in comparatively good well being and simply the month earlier than had been snowboarding in Lake Tahoe.

Robert Bell Wallace, 67, died this past April after he suddenly fell ill at a Dominican Republic resort.

Robert Bell Wallace, 67, died this previous April after he all of a sudden fell unwell at a Dominican Republic resort.
(Wallace household)

Arnold mentioned the household has been significantly involved after having just lately discovered of the opposite seemingly mysterious deaths within the Dominican Republic. Miranda Schaup-Werner, a Pennsylvania girl, died nearly 4 weeks later, on May 25, after she had a drink from her minibar at one other lodge, the Bahia Principe La Romana.


“He was fine,” Arnold mentioned of her uncle, who owned a profitable building enterprise and whose obituary web page was crammed with feedback about his generosity and compassion. “He and his wife arrived there at around midnight on April 10. On April 11 he had scotch from the minibar. He started feeling very sick, he had blood in his urine and stool right afterward.”

Wallace, pictured with his wife, Beverly, started feeling sick after drinking the scotch from the minibar, his niece said.

Wallace, pictured together with his spouse, Beverly, began feeling sick after ingesting the scotch from the minibar, his niece mentioned.
(Wallace household)

She mentioned a lodge physician had checked Wallace, then selected April 13 that he wanted to be hospitalized. He died April 14. Dominican authorities have but to provide the household a reason for dying, Arnold mentioned.

“We have so many questions,” she mentioned. “We don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

The U.S. State Division, responding to questions on Wallace’s dying, mentioned in an announcement to Fox Information: “We can confirm the death of a U.S. citizen in April 2019 in the Dominican Republic.  We offer our sincerest condolences to the family for their loss. Out of respect for the family during this difficult time, we do not have additional information to provide.”


In current days, a Maryland widow went public with issues concerning the dying of her husband, David Harrison, final yr on the identical Onerous Rock resort below comparable, sudden circumstances. The 2 had gone there with their 12-year-old son to rejoice their marriage ceremony anniversary.

“My husband was a very fit, very healthy person when he passed away,” she instructed Inside Version. She mentioned he’d had a bodily shortly earlier than the journey and, apart from hypertension which he saved in examine with medicine, the whole lot was wonderful.

Robert and Beverly Wallace were avid travelers.

Robert and Beverly Wallace have been avid vacationers.
(Wallace household)

“I started seeing all these other people that were dying of the same exact causes, which made me start to second guess. I no longer feel like my husband died of natural causes,’  McCoy told local TV station WTOP. “We went down there as a cheerful household, and we got here dwelling a damaged household. I got here dwelling a widow and my 12-year-old son got here dwelling fatherless.”

Efforts to get a remark concerning the deaths of Harrison and Wallace from Onerous Rock in Punta Cana have been unsuccessful.

On May 30, an engaged couple from Maryland, Edward Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, died of their room on the Bahia Principe La Romana. A lodge worker discovered them unresponsive of their room after they failed to take a look at.

Dominican authorities have mentioned both preliminary or closing autopsies indicated all of them died of pure causes, and that they have been remoted incidents, however the households mentioned that they had doubts. Some have employed legal professionals and deliberate extra autopsies and checks in america.

U.S. officers have been restrained of their feedback, solely confirming deaths when requested. Neither the State Division, Bahia Principe, nor Dominican authorities have responded to repeated questions by Fox Information about what number of vacationers from the U.S. and elsewhere have died of their rooms, or wherever in resorts, lately.

Practically half of the roughly 5 million vacationers who go to the Dominican Republic annually are from america, statistics have proven.

Wallace and his wife were in the Dominican Republic to attend a wedding, a relative said.

Wallace and his spouse have been within the Dominican Republic to attend a marriage, a relative mentioned.
(Wallace household)

Whereas saying little publicly, nonetheless, groups of consultants and inspectors from a number of worldwide companies, together with the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention, performed checks Thursday at the Bahia Principe properties the place U.S. vacationers died. It was unclear whether or not they inspected different resorts. The FBI confirmed to Fox Information on Friday it was helping Dominican authorities in investigating the deaths.

The testing and the FBI’s involvement marked the primary public indications that officers within the U.S. and the Dominican Republic have thought of the potential of one thing aside from pure causes.

Dominican officers mentioned Schaup, Holmes and Day had pulmonary edema, a situation through which the lungs fill with fluid. They mentioned Schaup, 41, who collapsed after having the minibar drink on the Luxurious Bahia Principe Bouganville — which is adjoining to the sister lodge the place Holmes and Day died — died of a coronary heart assault, although her household mentioned she was wholesome.

In current days, the household of a Pennsylvania girl who was vacationing within the Dominican Republic final yr mentioned she died in her room on the Bahia Principe Resort in Punta Cana resort after she had a drink from the minibar. Relations of Yvette Monique Sport, 51, instructed Fox 29 Philadelphia she was visiting the favored vacationer spot final June, had a drink, later went to mattress, and by no means wakened. Her dying certificates mentioned her official reason for dying was a coronary heart assault.

“It’s a complete fabrication,” Felecia Nieves, Sport’s sister, mentioned, “that you could have as many people and they all have the same cookie-cutter outcome. It’s impossible.”


Nieves mentioned she deliberate to achieve out to different households and press for solutions.

“This is about justice for people that we love,” she mentioned. “We’re never going to get them back but we can give them justice.”

Leave a Reply