Alok Sharma, 52, was additionally appointed as the minister answerable for the UK’s COP26 local weather change summit
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has appointed Alok Sharma as his new business minister, the governmnet mentioned in a press release on Thursday. Sharma, 52, was additionally appointed as the minister answerable for the UK’s COP26 local weather change summit. He was beforehand secretary of state for worldwide growth.
Here are 5 details about Alok Sharma:
1. Sharma, 52, was born in India, shifting to Reading in southern England when he was 5 years outdated.
2. With a background in banking, he was elected Member of Parliament for Reading West in 2010 with one of many largest swings to the Conservatives within the nation, in line with his web site.
3. Sharma has held numerous roles, turning into the prime minister’s infrastructure envoy to India in 2016 and a minister for housing the subsequent yr. He grew to become the minister for worldwide help in 2019.
4. He was tearful in parliament in 2016, when as housing minister he described assembly the survivors of a devastating fireplace at an condominium block in London that killed greater than 70 folks. He mentioned: “Hearing the harrowing accounts of survivors has been the most humbling and moving experience of my life.”
5. Alok Sharma is married and has two daughters.
Also learn: Rishi Sunak, Narayana Murthy’s son-in-law, is the brand new UK Finance Minister