Bernie Sanders and Ilhan Omar introduce common faculty meals invoice
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) collectively launched on Tuesday the Universal School Meals Program Act, a invoice that will assist present three free meals per day for all U.S. faculty kids.
Currently, solely college students from houses that make under a sure threshold (lower than 185 p.c of the poverty line, the equal of about $47,600 for a household of 4) can apply without cost or reduced-price lunch. Under the brand new invoice, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack can be free for all college students. The laws would additionally erase all faculty meal debt, prohibit faculty lunch shaming, enhance the reimbursement fee to cowl the price of producing meals, present a $0.30 per meal incentive for colleges that purchase native, and give lower-income kids an additional $60 per thirty days through the summer time to assist cowl meals whereas faculty is out of session, in response to a invoice abstract.
I am proud to unveil, with Rep. @Ilhan Omar, a invoice to make sure that each baby in America has entry to highschool meals.
In the richest nation within the historical past of the world, we should not tolerate the obscenity of children going hungry whereas they’re attempting to be taught. pic.twitter.com/UnBhOW1cDd
— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) October 15, 2019
“In the richest country in the history of the world, when the top 1 percent are making more than they ever have before, it is simply outrageous that 1 in 5 children will go hungry this year,” stated Sanders in an announcement.
School meal debt and lunch shaming — the apply of denying college students scorching or normal lunches if their households have unpaid meal charges — have been just lately spotlighted. Earlier this week, California banned lunch shaming with the signing of a invoice that ensures all college students obtain a meal of their alternative even when they’ve accrued excellent balances.
And in different information…
- You would possibly wish to keep away from Taco Bell for a short while: the chain has introduced a recall of two.three million kilos of beef from eating places in 21 states after metallic shavings have been discovered within the seasoned meat. [Grub Street]
- Theme parks from Disneyland to Six Flags to Universal Studios are creating essentially the most outrageous Halloween meals and drinks possible, all to get that candy social media buzz. [LA Times]
- Chuck E. Cheese has taken a few of the issues that greatest outline a Chuck E. Cheese expertise — video games and pizza — and created an actually-cool-looking pizza supply field that transforms right into a skee-ball sport. Now the one factor lacking is a life-sized, nightmarish animatronic rat. [Brand Eating]
- Those dramatic desk shows of cheese, crackers, cured meats, dips, and different snacks that you might have seen on Instagram or at cocktail events recently have a reputation — ”grazing tables” — and it appears they’re in every single place. [WSJ]
• All AM Intel Coverage [E]